Saturday, September 6, 2008

Magik Markers Inverted Belgium EP



(Hospital Producctions 2006)

I respectfully submit that this one-sided EP contains the most remarkably engineered recording of ego shattering sonic destruction that I have heard on vinyl. Without taking anything away from the Markers -- who were surely on fire that summer night in Belgium (May 9, 2005) -- I hereby nominate Dominik Fernow for a frigging Nobel Prize in music. I suppose the nearest experience I had prior to putting this on the turntable was in the bathroom at Alpine Valley and I’m not 100% sure that what I heard there was emanating from the stage. The next closest side might be the Universal Indians half of their split 12” with Gravatar (Charnel, 1995) but that's relatively polished and structured compared to this. Seriously folks: this is what it sounds like at the peak of any serious trip, plus it's free and there's no hangover.

No comments: